- Antonyms of HOPEFUL:
- hopeless, heartsick, insoluble, helpless, inauspicious, futureless, forlorn, lost, bleak, despondent, black, despairing, unhopeful, unfortunate, dim, desperate, abject, cheerless, comfortless, doubtful, dubious, uncertain, bearish, grim, negative, unfavorable, funereal, glum, gray, miserable, wretched, dark, depressing, discouraging, disheartening, dismal, downbeat, dreary, gloomy, pessimistic, unencouraging, unlikely, unpromising, unpropitious, unhappy, unlucky, calamitous, catastrophic, disastrous, fatal, ruinous, baleful, dire, direful, doomy, foreboding, ill, ill-boding, menacing, minatory, ominous, portentous, sinister, threatening.
- Examples of usage:
It makes one feel young and hopeful- jolly; doesn't it?
"A Prisoner in Fairyland",Algernon Blackwood.
" Something may have happened to delay him," said the manager in tones that showed he did not believe his own hopeful words.
"Jimmy Kirkland and the Plot for a Pennant",Hugh S. Fullerton.
The rest depends upon you, and you alone, and I am not very hopeful about it.
"The Great Impersonation",E. Phillips Oppenheim.
- It makes one feel young and hopeful- jolly; doesn't it?
- Top resources with antonyms for HOPEFUL:
- hopeful synonyms, antonyms, English dictionary, English language, definition, see also 'hopefully',hope',hopeless',hop', Reverso dictionary, English synonym, ... Antonyms 1 Level 7. Directions: ... D. hopeful. E. passionate. 6. .... (D) is incorrect because hopeful means feeling optimism about the future. This is not the ... Related Words for "hopefully": hopeful. Antonyms for "hopefully": hopelessly ... with hope; in a hopeful manner1. we searched hopefully for a good position1 ... 1 having qualities which inspire hope <economists are offering a hopeful forecast for a healthy economy in the coming year> Synonyms auspicious, bright, ... Synonyms and antonyms for hopeful. 1. hopeful (adj.) having or manifesting hope . Synonyms: encouraging,; expectant,; optimistic,; anticipant,; anticipative.
- recommencement, renewal, resumption, resuscitation, continuance.