- Antonyms of HOPEFUL
despairing, desperate, despondent, gloomy, hopeless, inauspicious, pessimistic, unhappy, unpromising, wretched. dark, unlikely. abject, baleful, bearish, black, bleak, calamitous, catastrophic, cheerless, comfortless, dark, depressing, despairing, desperate, despondent, dim, dire, direful, disastrous, discouraging, disheartening, dismal, doubtful, downbeat, dreary, dubious, fatal, foreboding, forlorn, funereal, futureless, gloomy, glum, gray, grim, heartsick, helpless, hopeless, ill, inauspicious, insoluble, lost, menacing, minatory, miserable, negative, ominous, pessimistic, portentous, ruinous, sinister, threatening, uncertain, unencouraging, unfavorable, unfortunate, unhappy, unhopeful, unlikely, unlucky, unpromising, unpropitious, wretched, Ill-boding, doomy.
- Examples of usage:
- It makes one feel young and hopeful jolly doesn't it - "A Prisoner in Fairyland" by Algernon Blackwood
- Something may have happened to delay him said the manager in tones that showed he did not believe his own hopeful words - "Jimmy Kirkland and the Plot for a Pennant" by Hugh S. Fullerton
- The rest depends upon you and you alone and I am not very hopeful about it - "The Great Impersonation" by E. Phillips Oppenheim
- Top resources with antonyms for HOPEFUL:
- hopeful synonyms, antonyms, English dictionary, English language, definition, see also 'hopefully',hope',hopeless',hop', Reverso dictionary, English synonym, ... Antonyms 1 Level 7. Directions: ... D. hopeful. E. passionate. 6. .... (D) is incorrect because hopeful means feeling optimism about the future. This is not the ... Related Words for "hopefully": hopeful. Antonyms for "hopefully": hopelessly ... with hope; in a hopeful manner1. we searched hopefully for a good position1 ... 1 having qualities which inspire hope <economists are offering a hopeful forecast for a healthy economy in the coming year> Synonyms auspicious, bright, ... Synonyms and antonyms for hopeful. 1. hopeful (adj.) having or manifesting hope . Synonyms: encouraging,; expectant,; optimistic,; anticipant,; anticipative.